quarta-feira, 7 de agosto de 2013

Para a Hora do Chá

Elizabeth Barrett Browning


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. 
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height 
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight 
For the ends of being and ideal grace. 

I love thee to the level of every day's 
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. 
I love thee freely, as men strive for right. 
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise. 

I love thee with the passion put to use 
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith. 
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose 

With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath, 
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose, 
I shall but love thee better after death. 




Tradução de Manuel Bandeira

Ama-me por amor do amor somente. 
Não digas: “Amo-a pelo seu olhar, 
o seu sorriso, o modo de falar 
honesto e brando. Amo-a porque se sente 

minh’alma em comunhão constantemente 
com a sua”. Por que pode mudar 
isso tudo, em si mesmo, ao perpassar 
do tempo, ou para ti unicamente. 

Nem me ames pelo pranto que a bondade 
de tuas mãos enxuga, pois se em mim 
secar, por teu conforto, esta vontade 

de chorar, teu amor pode ter fim! 
Ama-me por amor do amor, e assim 
me hás de querer por toda a eternidade 


(Soneto 43 do "Sonnets from the Portuguese")

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário